Skip to main content

No Changing the Uniform

I recall telling my coffee writer friend that I wanted to start a blog to document my motherhood journey. Trying to come up with an appropriate name, I listed all of the things that make me who I am. All kinds of random words were on the list to include Army, organization, singing, green, manicure, sweatshirts, and pearl earrings.  Playing the name game was fun I must admit. Creating is a favorite pastime. In October 2015 SweatshirtsAndPearls was born... oddly enough the same month and year I realized I was brow less, but that’s another topic for another day. My very first post covered my subconscious transition from one uniform to the next while consciously transitioning from Ciera to Mama.

Vera Wang said, “A woman is never sexier, than when she is comfortable in her clothes,” and I have to agree. On one of the most emotional days of my life (telling my parents I was pregnant) I chose my new uniform: A Sweatshirt, Yoga Pants, and Pearl jewelry.

In Jan 2020, it’s still my preference and now with a toddler it is imperative that my wardrobe be prepared for all things.

Case and point: At the park and he has a runny nose. No tissue in your purse or his backpack. Yep. The bottom of My T-shirt (under my sweatshirt) is now a napkin. I am a walking booger. Don’t you frown your face. If it hasn’t happened to you, it will.
(Cues Uptown Funk x Mark Bronson ‘Don’t believe me just watch’)

Case and point 2: You are now this little person’s “hold this please” woman as if he doesn’t have two little hands. I hold rubber ducks and fruit snacks and cups and two mini race cars, and a penny he found. Not to mention my cell phone so I can snap a picture of how cute he is going down the slide.  Yep. My yoga pant pockets are deeeeeeep.

Case and point 3: You realize that you need to go to the market for milk post park but pre-nap. Scheduling store time around nap time will save you energy. Trust me. While you don’t want to look like you literally rolled out of bed, (but seriously you’ve been up for 6 hours already because you guessed it, someone is an early bird) or that you just did all the exercise and have decided to share your body glisten with the world—-you also don’t need to do a cut crease on your brows for Walmart. It’s not Target.  Pearl earrings make your park wear public place ready without trying to hard. You’re welcome.

If you see me out and about without brows don’t judge me, instead ask me what time we can have the kids play at the park together or invite me out for coffee. I’ll show up to both places in uniform, ready for whatever.

You can be cute, comfortable, and still practical while you’re Mommin. It is now and has been
my way of life. My uniform allows me to be Ciera and Mama. What is your uniform of choice?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

Bumpdate 28

After my last post concerning raising a little Black boy, I figured we should get back to basics and give you a bumpdate. (If you haven't read the last post, no worries, it's still up for your reading pleasure). So here we are....28 weeks today.... officially in the third trimester. Shxt just got REAL. 12 weeks left until our little Brayden Michael is in my arms, (as I type this he is steady kicking letting me know he can feel my anxiety). I am so excited though; I am in a good place with pregnancy (only took 21 weeks) LOL.... I still don't want to do this again. Thanks for the blessing! Love you Bray, Sorry ma, Love you too, mean it! Nursery: The "Mommy and Daddy Love you Tons" Elephant themed nursery is coming along. Brian has assembled the crib and changing table (my boo is so handy) and rearranged the room to accommodate my DIY baby projects. Project 1: I bought wooden letters from Target to spell his name above his crib (something I saw on Pinterest).