Skip to main content

Self care: Business and Babies

Where is Doc McStuffins when you need her?! She has the cure right?!
COVID19 is causing all kinds of havoc on the world and more than ever it is vital to practice self-care.
I know most of us are self-isolating/quarantining because of state-wide school closures and reduced workforce implementation, while others are able to temporarily work-from-home (WFH).  For others, this may be your regular flow---just now you can't send the kids outside. No matter your home strategy maintaining business and babies is STRESSFUL. Knowing this, we can all benefit from practicing self-care so we can keep the anxiety low and the positive vibes high. 

Our friends over at Leap Innovative Group -- ForeverFunemployed have shared their top five tips for Working From Home:
1- Have a Morning. Make time for yourself before the workday. 
2- Get Dressed for the day. Enough said.
3- Don't work from the bed. Tempting, but a real productivity killer.
4-Set the Mood. Music is a productivity builder.
5- Put your phone on DND/Minimize distractions

While you're not home for Netflix and Chill those experiencing the FUNEMPLOYED lifestyle may prove to be just what you never knew you needed. Ever thought about turning that side hustle into your full-time gig? Now might be the time. If you want to use this time of social distancing to build upon your new or existing business, schedule a Funemployed ConsultationIf you've got a little extra time on your hands and want to spend it listening to business advice, there are some amazing episodes up of the Forever Funemployed Podcast


I've said before and I will say again, you cannot pour from an empty mug..... take care of yourself so you can take care of your life. 
I too, made a list of my top five home self-care practices to help keep you grounded, no pun intended, but of course you already know what's number one on my list. 

1- Stay Active:  I bend  [yoga] so I don't break [mentally]. Good health leads to good immunity. Being stuck in the house doesn't mean you have to be a couch potato. Our Fitness peeps over at FitOn have created a WFH challenge to keep you active. New workouts added often and BEST of all the FREE version is amazing. They also have workouts to do with the kiddos! Make it a family affair. My fave are the HIIT workouts/monthly challenges it's a fun and sure fire way to get the blood pumping. Of course there are multiple workouts and trainers to choose from.  I will be posting links on IG/FB so you can join if you'd like :-)

2- Make a playlist, or five. Similar to LIG's set the mood, having a playlist for activities is a great way to get you ready for whatever it is you need to do. In this case, I have playlists for cleaning (which in and of itself is self care---clean space--happy mama--fresh linen candle is the cherry on top), one for relaxing (spa music), and one for an energy boost while I change to get ready for a workout. Music just makes me feel good and there is a song for every mood.  Of course there is a Babybeez playlist for the dance parties we have in the kitchen. 
As some of you may have opted to add some structure to your quarantine days, perhaps a productivity playlist for the kiddos during "school" time could prove to lighten the mood. Make a mash-up with your kids' fave tunes and have a family playlist for some fun activities or connect to a list streaming on your favorite platform. Kids need self-care too. 

3-Turn your Master Bathroom into a Spa! 🧖🏾‍♀️ Light some candles, turn on your "Spa Vibe" playlist, draw a bath, drop in a bath bomb and relax. Do a pore mask too for the ultimate at home spa treatment. I know, self-care isn't all about bubble baths... but listen after a good workout, soaking in epsom salts will make you feel like a million bucks! Now, for most of us this may seem impossible, BUT alas make tonight an early bedtime and take some much needed YOU time.  As much as they need you, you need you too!

4- Make a healthy meal and take your Multi-Vitamin. One of my favorite dishes, veggie stir fry is easy and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare/cook. I steam broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red/yellow bell peppers adding garlic and onion powders, and black pepper to taste. I make my brown sauce using cornstarch, herbs and spices, and soy sauce. Serve it over sticky rice. If you are so inclined, pan sear chicken breast  for added protein.  I find that when I eat well, I feel better and am less likely to self sabotage. Stress of COVID-19 is already adding to my cortisol/waistline I do not need to make it worse by eating pizza everyday, although we all know I can survive on pizza and coffee forever. "Stress depletes the body’s stores of B vitamins, so eating foods high in B vitamins can help replenish those stores. Certain B vitamins, like B6 and folate, have an effect on brain glucose regulation, and are necessary for the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, serotonin, GABA and melatonin, which reduce symptoms of depression and helps improve our psychological response to stress (Schlichter, 2019)"In plain English: eat well, it's good for the brain and can decrease anxiety.

5- Do Nothing. This may come as a shocker, because of my ISTJ nature, but doing nothing, makes my top five list. As much as I love routine, sometimes I just need to sit and do nothing...just be. Especially while we are all confined to a certain radius and are being cautious by increasing social distancing, it's totally fine to pause and reset.  Listening to my body when it needs rest allows me to maintain balance, plus extra snuggles with my toddler makes my heart full. I just heard Disney + released Frozen II early. Plus now you can relive your childhood and watch the original Lion King so your kids can understand how the Lion Guard cartoon originated. 
I read a devotion this morning that talked about resting in Him during the season of waiting. How relevant?! 

This is not an all inclusive list of course, but these are a few that have made isolation tolerable. I'm sure we are all being extra creative with how we are managing our stress as our country is navigating the challenges of this pandemic. I'd love to hear from you, please share some things you are doing to take care of yourself while maintaining business and babies. 

Keep your head high and channel your inner goddess ....don't lose yourself, Mama. 

(Mompreneur plug: Artistry has natural skin care regimens and bath/body care; and Nutrilite has organic supplements; send me a DM if interested in the products I use.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

Bumpdate 28

After my last post concerning raising a little Black boy, I figured we should get back to basics and give you a bumpdate. (If you haven't read the last post, no worries, it's still up for your reading pleasure). So here we are....28 weeks today.... officially in the third trimester. Shxt just got REAL. 12 weeks left until our little Brayden Michael is in my arms, (as I type this he is steady kicking letting me know he can feel my anxiety). I am so excited though; I am in a good place with pregnancy (only took 21 weeks) LOL.... I still don't want to do this again. Thanks for the blessing! Love you Bray, Sorry ma, Love you too, mean it! Nursery: The "Mommy and Daddy Love you Tons" Elephant themed nursery is coming along. Brian has assembled the crib and changing table (my boo is so handy) and rearranged the room to accommodate my DIY baby projects. Project 1: I bought wooden letters from Target to spell his name above his crib (something I saw on Pinterest).