Skip to main content

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt.

If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck Ginger Ale and watching previously recorded eppies of Law and Order: SVU.

You see, I had been tired for weeks, and just figured the JMU tailgating and road trips between Northumberland and Richmond had worn me out. I was exhausted and ignored signs from my body telling me to take a chill pill. On top of being extremely tired, work was stressful, and I hadn’t seen you know who. I figured it was the stress and continued living my life, three glasses of wine that week.


On October 30, 2015, I took a home pregnancy test and realized that I shouldn't have had those three glasses of wine. I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't want to believe my eyes. I gave the test to Brian and asked him what he saw. "Baby, that's a positive. One light blue line and one dark blue line. I can see that without my glasses." I freaked out. "It doesn't matter the shade of blue I just need to know is that a positive?!"

"Yes baby, it's positive."

I cried and laughed and did a weird mixture of the two, all the while he held me and reassured me that it was okay. 

I just kept thinking, I am going to be a mother. 

He knew our baby would be loved. The only thought I had after that overwhelming scene was that I wanted a salad (with Zesty Italian Dressing) from TGIFridays and I wanted to go to bed. I was tired and hungry and did not think my Friday night would be so eventful.

The next day, still in shock and not really in the mood to get dressed, I donned my Army sweatshirt, tussled my hair, and put on my pearls. This was a big day and I needed familiarity and comfort. Soon we hit 95S for Northumberland to share the news. Along the drive Brian reminisced over the fact that we literally have known one another since we were children and now I was going to be the mother of his child.

Vera Wang said, “A woman is never sexier, than when she is comfortable in her clothes,” and I have to agree. On one of the most emotional days of my life, I chose my uniform. I chose comfort over heels and pantyhose.

Needless to say, if you give me a pair yoga pants, a sweatshirt, and my pearl earrings, I can make life happen (literally).


Comments

  1. This makes me happy. So excited for you and Brian's newest journey...I know you two will be amazing parents. I love you both!

    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a really good way to make sure those pearls never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay please share. Send me the pin if it's on Pinterest lol

      Delete
  3. I have a really good way to make sure those pearls never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing style has been amazed me. Its important to Buy designer sweatshirts to look good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

America: Under Construction

Denzel Washington said "I am proud to be Black, but Black is not all that I am." I pondered on that statement for weeks as I contemplated how to put my thoughts into a coherent paragraph.  I wondered how to articulate these thoughts amid getting too emotional, if anyone had comments. I finally decided that the only thing I could do was to simply write. Even though we are in a more accepting environment than that of the late 1800s or that of the 1960s, America is still under Construction.  Patrons were so disappointed in BeyoncĂ© for her 'Black Panther Tribute' and found every reason under the sun to bash her. 'She wore bullets, isn't she against gun violence?' 'She's not wearing a beret or natural hair, she is not pro-black'  'She is anti-police' 'Why would she use the Superbowl (something that brings people together) to cause such political controversy to segregate people' Now, let me state here, I like the song