Skip to main content

Hype Over Bread----Mother's Day Edition

It's Mother's Day weekend and I am enjoying a Flat White and a pedicure with my gal pals. We started our day with a boozy brunch which led us to Starbucks to a sweet barista who couldn't make our drinks. The latest #OPI color I wanted to try caught my eye and my friends weren't having it. According to them, its a variation of a color that I always get. If its not broken, dont fix it right?! That's how I feel, but after some swaying, I went with the color they chose, #IndiaMoodForLove. I must admit, I do really like it though. 

During my drive back to NOVA that afternoon, a few things occurred to me. I love OPI polish names and I need to step out of my comfort zone. Muffaletta is a Sicilian round bread or a popular N.O. sandwich. Unbeknownst to me, #ShesABadMuffaletta is from the same OPI collection as #GotMyselfInaJambalaya I wore 3 weeks ago. #OPINewOrleans Spring Collection. In previous posts I shared my #OPIObsession,  particularly the #OPIWashingtonDC Fall collection. Something about the names make me smile and feel like I'm a bit of a wild child. Normal Norma, that is me. So plain. Plain like bread.

No more.

In honor of #MeTimeMay I decided in that moment that I was going to try new things more often. I went to my nail shop that afternoon and instead of getting "She's a Bad Muffaletta' manicure, I got a French Mani....with OPI gel lacquer....don't judge me. I have a new color on my toes. Baby steps. Lol
In two weeks I will try a new color on my hands.
After all who wants to live a boring life. I want to be 95 years old, leaving the nail salon with OPI #NeverADullesMoment on my toes ready to take the day by storm and knowing I lived my life with intention. New colors. New styles. New Norma Ciera.

The next thought was that I had an amazing baby free evening/day and I did not feel guilty. I absolutely love my child, but all I wanted for Mother's Day was to relax, have conversations with adults, and not have baby drool in my eye. I did just that.

The following thought was how much I missed my baby. <crazy right, not really> I talked to him on the phone and the Marco Polo App, but it's not the same. As soon as I got home I scooped him up and kissed him 1 million times as he laughed and cooed. He missed me too!!

I sat on the couch sipping coffee from my now handle-less mug as Brayden pulled down the curtain in front of the balcony door. I kid you not, he is into everything, including breaking coffee mugs. But as I waited for him to scream, not because he was hurt, but because he does a loud shriek followed by laughter when he does something he's not supposed to, I had a moment.

In that moment, I saw My son. I stared at him in awe. I carried him. I cared for him. I loved him before he was completely formed. I gave birth to this little human. He is growing so quickly, and saying real words. His little personality is adorable. He looks nothing like me, but he's mine lol 

I am his mama.

Some days, I don't know if I'm coming or going. Some days I'm so tired I can't stand it.
Then are days like that one that make me feel so full I could burst. I am extremely blessed to have been chosen to raise this life. God chose me for him, and him for me. How amazing is that??!!

I hope all the mothers, God mothers, grandmothers, and mother figures enjoyed the day dedicated to them.

On my first Mother's Day, I sat with my sweet boy and kissed his face, played ball, and snuggled. I was treated to brunch, received roses, cards, and new mugs for my coffee station; but having my baby say ma-ma, kiss me and hug me was the greatest gift of all. Day made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

America: Under Construction

Denzel Washington said "I am proud to be Black, but Black is not all that I am." I pondered on that statement for weeks as I contemplated how to put my thoughts into a coherent paragraph.  I wondered how to articulate these thoughts amid getting too emotional, if anyone had comments. I finally decided that the only thing I could do was to simply write. Even though we are in a more accepting environment than that of the late 1800s or that of the 1960s, America is still under Construction.  Patrons were so disappointed in Beyoncé for her 'Black Panther Tribute' and found every reason under the sun to bash her. 'She wore bullets, isn't she against gun violence?' 'She's not wearing a beret or natural hair, she is not pro-black'  'She is anti-police' 'Why would she use the Superbowl (something that brings people together) to cause such political controversy to segregate people' Now, let me state here, I like the song