Skip to main content

A Day in the Life

So I know this post is long overdue, but what can I say other than, I've been busy. Our baby boy is 11 weeks and mommy is back in the office.

I shuttered at the thought of returning to work sooner than 12 weeks, but it was a sacrifice I made because I knew it would be best in the long run. Brayden has adjusted to daycare, this week being his third week. His teachers adore him and he is consistently smiling, laughing and cooing during drop off and pick up (when he's not sleep.) Brian and I receive real-time updates to monitor his feedings, diaper changes, infant development, and naps. It's awesome.

I am finally in the swing of things, juggling motherhood, working full-time [with a killer NOVA commute], keeping house, and maintaining a healthy relationship. I've read dozens of articles on how all dynamics shift once the baby arrives. I was determined to keep things as normal as possible and my ambition paid off.

A day in the life: My day starts at 0415-0430 having just dozed back off from a 0230 feeding.  After I am finished getting myself straight, I wake Brayden for another feeding, a diaper change, and get him dressed for the day. Brian and I have our morning prayer and he carries Brayden to the car. We arrive at daycare about 0550. It opens at 0600. Yes, he is one of three early arrivals at "school". I get on the highway to make my way to the office by 0740. It takes me about an hour and 15/20 min. Off at 1530, to pick the baby up at 1705. Once we arrive home, I clean and sterilize his bottles to prep them for the next day. Start dinner and feed/change Brayden again. While dinner is cooking, I play with him if he's awake.
After dinner, we give Brayden a bath, feed him again, read a story or watch Sprout Educational TV on Nick Jr. After Brayden is sleep, I prep his bottles, take a shower, and pull out our clothes for the next day. If he isn't sleep by then, it's Father/son time so I can have mommy time lol
Brian puts away dinner and we are all in bed by 2200-2230. Somewhere in there Brian has gone to the gym and I've tried to do some squats and calf raises.

Now I know you're probably wondering where the fun stuff is... trust me it's in there. We have fun bathing Brayden together or watching Sprout together. It's enjoyable watching Bray talk to the characters or to us if we aren't paying him attention lol. Brian and I catch up during my 2 hour commute home. Communication is key. Especially when we are both working full time and trying to squeeze "us" time in. Family time is the new "us" time, but we still carve out time to be Brian and Ciera. He still takes me on dates and I still leave little notes for him to find after I leave the house in the morning.

Major housework and errands are left for the weekend; I only wash a few loads of laundry during the week. Baby clothes pile up very quickly. And there are so many!!! [because the article was just too cute not to buy for him.] Lol

We have a schedule and right now it works.

The goal is to find a routine that works for your lifestyle. I told yall, my lifestyle pops, but I wanted to keep things normal; cooking and cleaning is my norm. Can't slack on hot meals everyday. One, it's expensive to eat out daily, and two, it's not always healthy. Yall know I'm still working on my post baby body. (That's another post to come later). Basically, my crockpot is my friend lol
Brian's norm is hitting the gym after work, so that has continued. We alternate the short and long days so he can be here with the baby and help me out.

Now add packing. Yep, one of the things on the horizon I mentioned a few FB statuses ago is our move. We are moving to a bigger space in less than 30 days. We are excited and overwhelmed lol but such is life.

We have it figured out for now, only time will tell though. In the meantime, I'll continue to post my Post-pregancy, motherhood journey.

If you have any questions or have things you'd like me to post about please let me know.

Until next time.....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

America: Under Construction

Denzel Washington said "I am proud to be Black, but Black is not all that I am." I pondered on that statement for weeks as I contemplated how to put my thoughts into a coherent paragraph.  I wondered how to articulate these thoughts amid getting too emotional, if anyone had comments. I finally decided that the only thing I could do was to simply write. Even though we are in a more accepting environment than that of the late 1800s or that of the 1960s, America is still under Construction.  Patrons were so disappointed in Beyoncรฉ for her 'Black Panther Tribute' and found every reason under the sun to bash her. 'She wore bullets, isn't she against gun violence?' 'She's not wearing a beret or natural hair, she is not pro-black'  'She is anti-police' 'Why would she use the Superbowl (something that brings people together) to cause such political controversy to segregate people' Now, let me state here, I like the song