Skip to main content

Self-care: One Size Does NOT Fit All

An old FB post reminded me that ten years ago I was in a rural Providence in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. I should have been sleeping to prepare for my long perimeter shift, but instead I decided to paint my nails and my toes, despite them being in thick green socks and combat boots.

Many of us practice Self-care without announcing it to the world, but especially since it has become so mainstream (as it should be), the term has many interpretations. I've been doing my nails as a part of my regular routine and never put too much thought into it. I mean I was in a war zone and spent time doing my nails and putting rollers in my hair (another story for another day). Doing my nails makes me feel like me.

Some folks believe self-care is not about lighting candles and getting Manis/pedis. Some folks believe true self-care is building a life you don't need a break from. Others think it is physical fitness.

Self-care is NOT one size fits all.

I believe self-care is doing what is right for you, no matter what that is. Combining ALL the things to live your best life is what it's all about.  You can live a fabulous life and still want to enjoy alone time, light a candle, or feel even more beautiful than you are by getting a pedicure.

A lot has happened since that FB post in 2009. Today in 2019 while still maintaining a sweet nail bed, my health has changed, my stress level sky-rocketed, and I grew a human. That time in the sand box shaped my perspective for sure, but I remained true to myself.

I still like my Manis/Pedis and I love my pearls.

Back then, I didn't have to make time because my priorities were different. Today, I have to be intentional with making time because a month will pass and I don't even realize it. The last two years have allowed me to find that same young lady who sat in the barracks painting her toes and listening to music.

When prioritizing what's important, self-care/self-maintenance are at the top of my list. After all, I cannot pour from an empty cup, so not doing what I need does not bode well for me or those close to me. 

The list is not all-inclusive, but these are important to me, for a happy, balanced Ciera.

☑️I make lists... For everything.
    🔄Goals for the day (helps me keep track and actually be productive)
    🔄Pros and cons (especially when making major decisions)
    🔄Grocery lists (helps me budget [financial self-care is a thing])
☑️Use my Google Calendar and Yearly Planner
☑️Daily Devotions (Prayer/Meditation)
☑️Drink Coffee or Green tea with honey
☑️Organic Multivitamin and drink plenty of water.
☑️I have a strict skincare regimen (that includes toning, a moisturizer, and a clay mask)
☑️Exercise or at minimum daily stretching
☑️Set boundaries to reduce stress. 
☑️Talk with my mentor
☑️Write
☑️Light candles (right now my new fave is Ivy and Rose Water)
☑️Listen to a favorite song
☑️Sit by myself and do nothing but breathe
☑️Toddler Snuggles 😍❤️ (Mommin' gives me the feels [all of them])
☑️Put on make-up (eyebrows at minimum) and my pearls (earrings are a MUST)
☑️Manicure and Pedicure of course

When you think of self-care/Self-Maintenance what does that look like for you?

Comments

  1. Excellent advice! You hit the nail on the head. One of my regrets when I was a young mother is that I didn't practice self-care. Self-care isn't just about yourself either, it's about keeping yourself strong so you can be there for your loved ones. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Your self-care matters to those around you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

Bumpdate 28

After my last post concerning raising a little Black boy, I figured we should get back to basics and give you a bumpdate. (If you haven't read the last post, no worries, it's still up for your reading pleasure). So here we are....28 weeks today.... officially in the third trimester. Shxt just got REAL. 12 weeks left until our little Brayden Michael is in my arms, (as I type this he is steady kicking letting me know he can feel my anxiety). I am so excited though; I am in a good place with pregnancy (only took 21 weeks) LOL.... I still don't want to do this again. Thanks for the blessing! Love you Bray, Sorry ma, Love you too, mean it! Nursery: The "Mommy and Daddy Love you Tons" Elephant themed nursery is coming along. Brian has assembled the crib and changing table (my boo is so handy) and rearranged the room to accommodate my DIY baby projects. Project 1: I bought wooden letters from Target to spell his name above his crib (something I saw on Pinterest).