Skip to main content

Drink Champagne and Dance on the Table

Unlike years past, there was nothing planned for my birthday. Literally, I said I will see how I feel in reference to making plans on the Saturday before #CiDay.

Who are you? And where is Ciera? You know the one who plans like her life depends on it.

She is still around just taking a much needed bird's eye view.  You see this last year has been something special. Running into to thirty full-throttle did something for her well-being. It was exactly the kind of year she wanted. A YEAR OF YES.

Last year's mantra was about living with intention, living out loud. It was a drastic change from the normal organize/prepare, plan, contingency plan, and execute....

On one hand, I hired a travel agent, planned and had a contingency for traveling to the Bahamas, and then on the other I literally hopped in a car and rode to Canada just because; and it was a blast. I've had champagne and I danced on the table in my dreams, why not in-real-life? I have never been at that level of spontaneity in my life. It felt good to just go, be free, let my hair down, live a little. 

I said yes to just doing. I said yes to being a mompreneur. I said no to others while saying yes to myself because I learned that self-care isn't selfish.

On CiDay, I was awakened by the call of my new name, Mama.  Beez and baby showered me with forehead kisses and wished me the happiest of birthdays. On my way to work I received a call from my coworker who informed me of a fatal car accident and the delay it caused. After getting my MPL (Starbucks birthday reward), I set off to sit in the morning traffic.

In true Ciera fashion though, there had to be some pondering on the year I was leaving behind and formulating a way forward, not to mention the fatal accident I just learned about. 

This time is was different, in that having experienced treasured moments that will forever be imprinted in my memory and on my heart, it gave me a clearer lense to look through.

As I crept along RT28, my heart was heavy thinking of the person who lost their life hours earlier. Did he or she have kids, were they married, did they tell the people they care about that they did in fact care?  That person had no idea that, 18 Sept would be their last day on Earth. Immediately overcome with emotion I decided that Year 31 would be dedicated to gratitude.

Love. Sweat. Peace. Reflection. Action. Intentional living. GRATITUDE.

As I was blessed that morning to see another day and each day hereafter, I am reminded that life should not be taken for granted and the people in it are worth the time and energy to continue relationship fostering.  I am reminded of life's precious gift daily when I look at my now 2 year old.

I arrived at work safely and was greeted by Unicorn streamers, balloons, gifts, and a cake. It was a beautiful surprise to feel that love at my place of employment. They expressed their gratitude towards me and it was that much more clear that it was the word for Year 31.

A continuation of Year of Yes, of Intentional Living with a sprinkles of spoken appreciation to those around me. Loving them on purpose, positively speaking into their lives, showing my gratitude.

So with that faithful readers, I appreciate your consistency, your encouraging words to continue writing, and the love shown for my art therapy.
May you always know that I am grateful for your support to my blog and to my business.

Thirty and Thriving in a new year,
C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

Bumpdate 28

After my last post concerning raising a little Black boy, I figured we should get back to basics and give you a bumpdate. (If you haven't read the last post, no worries, it's still up for your reading pleasure). So here we are....28 weeks today.... officially in the third trimester. Shxt just got REAL. 12 weeks left until our little Brayden Michael is in my arms, (as I type this he is steady kicking letting me know he can feel my anxiety). I am so excited though; I am in a good place with pregnancy (only took 21 weeks) LOL.... I still don't want to do this again. Thanks for the blessing! Love you Bray, Sorry ma, Love you too, mean it! Nursery: The "Mommy and Daddy Love you Tons" Elephant themed nursery is coming along. Brian has assembled the crib and changing table (my boo is so handy) and rearranged the room to accommodate my DIY baby projects. Project 1: I bought wooden letters from Target to spell his name above his crib (something I saw on Pinterest).