Skip to main content

My Son's Life Matters

After the events of the past week (#AltonSterling #PhilandoCastille #Dallas #Atlanta) my heart is heavy.  Not to say that I haven't felt this before, but this time it was different. Perhaps because not only do I have brothers, cousins, friends, and a BF to consider when the topic of Black male lives are at hand; I have a son.  Today my son is 12 days young. He is the perfect 7 pounds 15 oz. He smiles in his sleep and is comforted at the sound my voice.

I. Have. A. Son.
His life matters to me. To his father. To his family.
I believe that he will be a good citizen and serve his community. I also know that because of the color of his skin there is a chance he will be judged. This is not okay. Of all the things I've done in my life, he is my greatest accomplishment. I am a sister, a daughter, a girlfriend, a Black woman, but most importantly now, I am a mother.

The past few days I have spent looking at my son and crying. I prayed over his life before he entered this cruel world, and I will continue to do so.

I've read and seen some things that have made me sad, I've read and seen some things that I totally agree with and others that I vehemently disagree with. I'm in a state of disbelief. That being said, I can't ignore that there is a problem.

I believe in supporting causes you are passionate about in a non violent way. I don't think every police officer is bad. I also don't think every person who is not Black is racist.

Hatred is taught. I aim to teach my son love.

I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but I do know that it will take all of us to do it.

Spread love. Stop the violence.  #MySonsLifeMatters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th

America: Under Construction

Denzel Washington said "I am proud to be Black, but Black is not all that I am." I pondered on that statement for weeks as I contemplated how to put my thoughts into a coherent paragraph.  I wondered how to articulate these thoughts amid getting too emotional, if anyone had comments. I finally decided that the only thing I could do was to simply write. Even though we are in a more accepting environment than that of the late 1800s or that of the 1960s, America is still under Construction.  Patrons were so disappointed in Beyoncé for her 'Black Panther Tribute' and found every reason under the sun to bash her. 'She wore bullets, isn't she against gun violence?' 'She's not wearing a beret or natural hair, she is not pro-black'  'She is anti-police' 'Why would she use the Superbowl (something that brings people together) to cause such political controversy to segregate people' Now, let me state here, I like the song