Skip to main content

America: Under Construction

Denzel Washington said "I am proud to be Black, but Black is not all that I am."

I pondered on that statement for weeks as I contemplated how to put my thoughts into a coherent paragraph.  I wondered how to articulate these thoughts amid getting too emotional, if anyone had comments. I finally decided that the only thing I could do was to simply write.

Even though we are in a more accepting environment than that of the late 1800s or that of the 1960s, America is still under Construction. 

Patrons were so disappointed in BeyoncĂ© for her 'Black Panther Tribute' and found every reason under the sun to bash her. 'She wore bullets, isn't she against gun violence?' 'She's not wearing a beret or natural hair, she is not pro-black'  'She is anti-police' 'Why would she use the Superbowl (something that brings people together) to cause such political controversy to segregate people'

Now, let me state here, I like the song "Formation" and the controversial video (for non-racial reasons), but in no way, do I believe the song itself to be political. I will also say that those same patrons would be the ones to promote anything they felt strongly about. That is EVERYONE'S right. 

You and I both have the right to say/slay, sing/shout whatever we want. That is the beauty of America. It does not matter if no one else agrees with you.

People get so angry when you disagree. Grow up. I am entitled to my own opinion, so are you. 

When hatred runs deep though, people will do things to destroy that self-love that took years to re-claim.

I read (can't confirm how true) that there were police who decided to stop providing services at Beyonce's concerts and yet there were police who protected KKK individuals rallying (there were pics). Logically we know this is not right America. The Black Panther Party although were known for taking matters into their own hands when provoked (key words), also provided for their communities: Schools, protection, Programs to give back to the youth. For them to be compared to the KKK who we all know acted without a reason, out of hate no less is an abomination.

There are news anchors who spew ignorance saying "Blacks keep pulling off the Historical Bandaid" and that we are "shoving "Black Lives Matter" down your throats as a  way to rid America of White Supremacy" .... *Blank stare* Do you hear yourself? Or are you just reading the queue cards given and not thinking about what you're saying? Either way, have several seats.

We have had a great President for eight years. I am happy that Brayden will be born under his legacy. The first African-American President - fun fact for his Baby Book.

However, because there is still more work to be done, it saddens me that we will be raising a little Black boy in such mess. When I actually sat back and pondered on Denzel's statement, I cried. I want my son to be known for his contributions to his community. For his compassion, for his faith in God, for his love to his family and friends. 

I don't want my son's legacy to be another name added to the list of senseless violence.

My little Black boy although he has not yet entered this world I pray.
I pray for his life, that he may live to be 100 and not see the barrel of  gun aimed in his direction because he went to the corner store to get his mother a blue bag of skittles.
I pray for my little Black boy's mind, that he understands that he can do anything he puts that mind to, such as being the next President.
I pray for my little Black boy's heart. That it will always be full of love and compassion even when the difficult times arise.
I pray for my little Black boy's Faith, that we instill in him at a young age and that he will always be grounded in God's love and guidance.
I pray that my little Black boy is not afraid to live his life. I hope he lives with intention.

We will raise a little Black boy in America. We will teach him to love himself and others. We will teach him the importance of having an expanded vocabulary and that wearing a hoodie doesn't make him a thug. We will teach him that having joy in hope and patience in affliction will keep him grounded. We will teach him what it's like to be Black in America, while reassuring him that Black is not all that he is.

Brayden Michael, Black is not all you will be.





Comments

  1. I loooooove this post in light of all that's going on in the world!!! Someone needs to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a few updates to it after thinking some more. I'm about to announce it now. You're the first to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Completely love this, and this is so eloquently put. My brother, who has always wanted a little boy to carry on the football tradition, was relieved to hear that they'd be having a girl. He said he secretly worried about having to raise a little black boy in America...it's not easy; I still make sure my little brother 100% knows how to handle police encounters and can act "respectable". I commend you for how you're preparing to raise your little black boy and will always pray for you two!

    xo,
    Janna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janna. I'm making peace with the reality that this is going to happen. I know we can't protect him from it all, but to the best of our ability, we will prepare him.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatshirts and Pearls

I never realized that even after eight years in the military I still somehow gravitated towards a uniform. Not just any uniform, specific articles and accessories that make me feel like I’m ready to take on the day. No matter if I feel good, bad, or indifferent, my pearl earrings make every outfit public appropriate. I feel naked without them. I even workout wearing smaller versions of them. O_o Accented with my favorite necklace, (a single strand of round pearl beads worn by my mother on her wedding day); my pearls can bring any outfit to life. Even a basic sweatshirt. If I had to choose, some variety of a sweatshirt would be in my top five article of clothing. They are comfortable and warm and when paired with the perfect jean or legging BOOM!  You have an outfit ready to run errands (the bank, the mall, and Wal-Mart), visit friends and family (Homecoming and the 3.5 hour drive to Northumberland), or simply lounge around the house on a Sunday afternoon, sipping Northern Neck G

The Delivery

I woke up early on June 29th [2016], the plan was to accompany Brian to Alexandria for the day. However, as you know my plans do not happen the way I anticipate. I felt a trickle of liquid and after several trips to the bathroom, I was sure my water broke and that I did not have a 2year old accident. I didn't feel any contractions so, I figured we had some time. What's a girl to do when she's in labor and the contractions aren't heavy???! You guessed it. Put your game face on... no eyeliner though. I heard pain was going to be a beast and I'm a crier. Don't need raccoon eyes in my son's pics. I mentioned to Brian that maybe we should just go about our day and wait until the contractions got bad, but of course you can never be too sure. I didn't want to be on the side of 66East in labor. So after I finished getting ready, we headed to the hospital. I called my mom, Brian called his mom and they both made it to NOVA in record time only to be told th